International Moving Costs 2019: Overseas Prices from South Africa
On this page, you can find an overview of the international moving costs when moving from South Africa and how they are calculated. If you need an international mover, take a look at our top 10 international movers list.
International Moving Costs
Like previously said, depending on the volume and destination, shipping a container by sea is the most common method of transporting your furniture abroad. International movers will look at a number of factors before providing you with a quote. Therefore, it is important to understand how to calculate container shipping prices before you contact any removal companies, in order to receive a fair price.
|Country||20ft Container Cost|
|Moving to UK||R90,000 – R150,000|
|Moving to New Zealand||R95,000 – R150,000|
|Moving to Australia||R90,000 – R150,000|
|Moving to USA||R100,000 – R155,000|
|Moving to UAE||R80,000 – R135,000|
|Moving to Netherlands||R90,000 – R150,000|
|Moving to Canada||R93,000 – R155,000|
|Moving to Brazil||R76,000 – R126,000|
Note on Data: Please note the prices shown are only estimates of an average 3 bedroom house. Not all factors of the move are being taken into consideration, such as import taxes as well as customs and duties.
How are International Moving Costs Calculated?
The two main factors that affect international removal costs:
- Volume (m³)
Try and provide as much detail as you can to the movers to receive an exact quote. The calculation for finding the volume of a piece of furniture in cubic meters is: (L” x W” x H”). However, if you don’t want to measure every piece yourself, try our furniture volume calculator to find out the total volume of your move.
While the calculation for international removal costs is simple, there are other factors that can affect the price:
- Type of transport: Depending on the size and destination, there are two types of transport that you can use when moving abroad. The first method is by It is the most common mode of transport as it gives you space to transport a large volume for a cheap price. The only negative is the time it takes to transport your furniture. The second method is air. It is the quickest way to transport your furniture, however it is extremely expensive, and you can only fit the volume of a 1 bedroom flat.
- Shipping container size: This all depends on the volume of your move; however, the most common sizes are 20ft and 40ft.
- Insurance: When you are travelling overseas, it is best to always have your personal belongings insured.
- Date of the move: The most expensive days to move are the weekends and during the holidays. It won’t affect the price immensely; however, it is still something you should take into account.
- Extra Services: Companies will require an extra fee to provide extra services like packing/unpacking and storage, so make sure you ask the moving company if this is the case.
- Accessibility: You will find that your removal costs will increase if it is difficult to gain access to your home, both at pick-up and delivery. Any factor that will increase the difficulty and length of your move, removal companies will most likely charge you for it.
Different international movers have individual costs that need to be taken into account, thus you will undoubtedly receive different rates for your move abroad. Comparing quotes will therefore ultimately save you a considerable amount of money. This is also a great opportunity to discuss with the international movers about your individual requirements and ask any questions that you may have.
The additional services can majorly affect the costs of your international move; however, these services can also make it a lot less stressful. Below is a list of the estimated prices of many additional services offered by international removal companies:
|Packing and Assembly||R1,700|
|Temporary Storage (no longer than one month)||R2,220|
|Transporting your piano||R5,130|
Other Things to Consider
There are also a number of other costs that you will need to consider when moving abroad. Here is a list of just a few:
- Visas: very important to begin this process early on and to find out what the exact costs for your visa will be. The cost will vary depending on the country and how long you plan to stay there, so make sure you check with their embassy in South Africa.
- Housing Costs: The housing market in each country is very different to each other, so estimating a cost for buying or renting a house around the world is impossible. Our suggestion is hiring a local real estate agent to help. Whether you are looking to buy or rent, they can give you an expected estimation of costs.
- Transporting a car or pets: There are many factors that can influence the cost of moving abroad with your pet or transporting your car. For pets it can be the breed, size of the animal and any veterinary requirements your pet needs that can affect the price. With transporting a vehicle, what make is it or how old the car is. We recommend contacting a moving company who can assist you and provide you with a price based on your circumstances.
- Booking flights: If you’re moving abroad, then you will most likely need to book a flight to your new home country. Make sure to book these in advance, as flights usually go up in price as time goes on.
- Transferring money abroad: Luckily, you can now transfer your money electronically, however, this can cost you a substantial fee when transferring to another currency in a different country. Make sure you select a good international money transfer service to help you like TransferWise.
We hope that this page has informed you a little more about the various costs to expect when moving abroad. If you’re planning on choosing a moving company, then you should also be aware that there are a number of factors that you need to look at. To make it a little bit easier for you, Sirelo has created a dedicated page which includes 8 useful tips that helps you choose the right mover. Good luck with your move!