Our top 7 tips for packing up a house will help you have the smooth house move you want. The moving process is stressful enough without having to learn how to pack up a house for moving. Nonetheless, it’s important to do the packing correctly – it will save you time and money in the long run!
To make your packing process more enjoyable, listen to this packing playlist to pump you up for your move 🙂
1. Start Early
Our first tip for packing up a house is simple – start packing early! Getting a head start on your packing for moving house will always be a smart idea, as packing often takes longer than you think. It’s good to start about two – three weeks before moving day, if not earlier.
Knowing how to pack up a house for moving takes time and energy. If you haven’t given yourself enough time, we recommend getting help from professional packers. Fill in our online form below and request up to five moving quotes from trusted moving companies. You can avail of their packing services – We’re happy to help!
2. Get Rid of Items You Don’t Need
Decluttering is an important step in your packing journey. Throwing things away that you don’t need means that there is less to pack, which will make your move cost less. You could also sell them on sites such as Gumtree or even give them away for free to a charity shop or on websites such as Freecycle.
Once you have reduced your belongings, you can use our furniture volume calculator to estimate the volume of your move! This way you can request accurate quotes from different moving companies to ensure you’re getting the best price for your move.
If you’re not ready to permanently part with some belongings, read our page on storage services to learn about your other options.
3. Make a Priority List
Make a list of all the items in your house and differentiate between priority items, items you are currently using and items you don’t need for a while. Pack the items you use less first. For example, if you’re moving in the summer, you can pack your winter clothes first as they will not be used until after you have moved.
You can also use this as your inventory list when you move to make sure you don’t miss anything! Check out our other moving house tips for helpful moving information.
4.Get Packing Supplies
Once you have made the list and considered how you are going to pack the items, you will need some supplies to pack with:
- Boxes: These will be used to pack your items into. Use our moving boxes guide to learn how to source your materials at a budget friendly price.
- Bubble Wrap: This will be wrapped around fragile items in your boxes.
- Scissors: These will be needed to cut tape and labels.
- Labels: The purpose of labels on boxes is to inform all parties involved in the move what the box contains.
- Marking pens: These marking pens will be used to write on the boxes and the labels.
- Sellotape: The Sellotape will be used for joining, sealing, attaching and mending the boxes.
Our tips for packing up a house can help with your moving process, but using quality packing material will make your house move safe and easy!
5. Gather Documents and Paperwork
You will need to easily access important documents, such as your passport, travel insurance and health insurance. All other documents ought to be scanned, then packed safely, with the digital files as easily accessible as possible.
6. Group Items Together and Label
Have one room that is your ‘packing station’ and put all boxes and supplies in there. Then, pack room by room. Make sure you clearly label the boxes as ‘fragile’ or not, and which room they should go to when you move into your new place.
Moving day tip: Pack items you will need on your first day in a suitcase for easy access. When you arrive, you’ll be delighted you have your essentials close by.
7. Sirelo’s Smart Tips for Packing Up a House
Follow these extra tips to know how to pack up your house for moving:
- If you are packing glasses or any breakables, make sure boxes are layered with padding and items are wrapped in bubble wrap.
- Mark ‘fragile’ on labels and stick them on all sides of the box.
- When packing electrical items, make sure there are no gaps in the boxes. Mark ‘electrical items’ on the box, so that the movers can make sure it doesn’t come into any contact with water.
- Make sure to fill large boxes with lighter items and put the heavier objects in smaller boxes.
- If you are packing the truck yourself, remember that heaviest items should be the first to go on the floor of the truck. Read our moving furniture guide for more helpful advice.
Ready To Pack For Moving House?
We hope you found this quick 7-step guide helpful and you feel more confident on how to pack your items. Request quotes through Sirelo today to get started on your moving journey.
Still need more information? Check out the articles linked below to assist you in your move! For other moving related queries, explore the rest of the Sirelo website.
Best of luck with your move!