How Much do Home Removals Cost?
|Type of Move||Price|
|2 hour move||R1500 – R2500|
|4 hour move||R2200 – R3500|
|6 hour move||R2750 – R4750|
|8 hour move||R3250 – R6750|
|Full day move||R3950 – R7950|
This table shows you the cost of a man and van service for varying amounts of time during a day move. There are a number of services that moving companies have on offer. This is quite a wide spectrum, however, there are so many factors that need to be taken into account when calculating the cost of a move, which therefore makes it extremely difficult to give a rough estimate.
If you want the removal company to complete the whole move, an additional charge of R600 – R1500 may be added to the total cost of your move. This all depends on how many movers you need of course.
Note on data: The prices shown are only estimates and do not include extra services that you may require when moving home.
Factors that Affect Home Removals Costs
When using a moving company, you have to remember that every mover operates differently, therefore prices of home removals vary. The biggest factors on price are:
- Volume (m³)
Removal companies will calculate the volume of your furniture in cubic meters (m³) of cubic feet (ft³). The calculation for finding the total volume of your personal belongings is: (L” x W” x H”).
However, if you don’t want to spend your time measuring everything you own, try our quick and easy Furniture Volume Calculator. And of course, it also depends on the distance: if you’re moving to the other side of the country, the price of your move will be more than if you’re planning on moving down the road.
What Else Affects Home Removals Costs?
As well as these two factors, there are a number of things that can influence the price of your move. Some include:
- Ease of Access – Is your home located on a busy street? Can removal vans park outside? If the movers have difficulty accessing your home, they may charge extra due to this inconvenience.
- 2 Hour Minimum – Removal companies usually charge a two-hour minimum. This is to help them stay protected from wasting resources on moves that are too small.
- Time of the Move –If you are moving home during the peak season (May – September), in the holidays or on the weekend, removal costs will be higher. This is mainly due to an increase in demand in home removals.
- Special Care –If you have a unique piece of furniture that requires special care, like a piano or antique furniture, the costs will increase.
- Additional services – If you need help with things like packing, assembly or storage, a lot moving companies will offer these extra services. However, it will increase the total cost of your move.
How to Save Money on Your Move
When choosing a moving company, the overall home removals cost will be determined by what type of mover you go for. Are you more concerned about price or do you care more about the quality of the mover?
The cheapest type of home removals are, of course, moving everything by yourself. You can pack everything yourself, rent a van and move all of your belongings to your new home. Having said that, if you’re planning on doing this, then make sure you have friends or family at hand to help you. You can always look into Man & Van services, which are when you rent a van and some extra help. Moving on your own is a lot of work, but it’s much cheaper than hiring a home removals company that does everything.
Here are some tips on how to lower your home removal costs:
- Move in off-peak times: avoid the weekends and the summer when moving house can be more expensive
- Don’t pay for moving materials: gather boxes from local supermarkets and pack fragile belongings in
- Compare removal quotes: the more quotes you get, the better choice you have
- Sell belongings you no longer want: this will lower the volume you have to move and, therefore, lower the removal cost.
However, if you’re looking for quality and want to make sure your belongings get to your new home all in one piece, then you should consider hiring a home removals company. Take a look at our moving quotes page to help you decide on the best moving company for you.
If you’re interested in looking for home removals, you can take a look at what moving companies are on our website. You can check out what services they provide and what their reviews are like.
We hope that you have found this page useful and you know a little bit more on what home removals costs to expect. Like we said previously, it is extremely difficult to give an estimate of how much home removals will cost. Fortunately, you can fill out our online form and we can connect you to up to five home removals, who will then provide you with a quote. We wish you all the best with your move!